Debate: Activism vs. Slacktivism
Does activism via digital channels work? It depends on who you ask. Join a debate of skeptics, realists and optimists exploring the impact of digital activism.
All activism depends on the belief and hope by participants that acting together will make a difference. With increasing debate and rhetoric around the influence and power of digital activism, what will the future be for this form of mobilisation if misinformed commentary or ill-conceived use of digital tools and networks attempt to undermine it?
The debate will challenge and provoke:
- campaigners who are not using online mobilisation strategically and the debate will challenge them to up their game
- skeptics of the power of digital activism and the debate will challenge them to learn how and when digital activism does work
(See bottom of page for bios and position of speakers)
Chair: Kathryn Corrick – Digital Media Consultant
- Paul Hilder – Director of Campaigns, Oxfam
- David Babbs – Executive Director, 38 Degrees
- Naomi McAuliffe – Campaign Manager, Amnesty International
- Tom Steinberg – Director, MySociety.org
- Sam Smith – Democracy & Transparency activist
- Eric Lee – Founding Editor of LabourStart.org
- Micah White – Adbusters & Guardian contributor (Via recorded video presentation)
- Other to be confirmed
- Each articulates their points in a 5-10 minute presentation (TED-style)
- Opportunity to respond to others’ points for 20 minutes
- Audience question, answer, comment and debate
We aim to stream the event live, allow questions from online audience as well as recording it for later viewing online.